Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easiest choice in the world. I'll take it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest choice in the world. I'll take it.

10m is more than what most of us would earn in a lifetime. For simplicity sake, let's just assume this:
    • You are 30 right now
    • You will retire at 65
    • You will die at 85
    • You will earn $10m by retirement age
    • You work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week
    • You will take 140 days off in a year because of weekends, leaves, and public holidays.
    • You will be working for 225 days in a year
    • You have 4 hours of free time on a working day
    • You have 17 hours of free time on an off day

A personwhochoose to work would have accumulated 114800 hours of free time by retirement (age 65), and 238900 hours of free time by death (age 85)

Now for someone who chose not to work. They would have accumulated 217175 hours of free time by age 65, and 279225 hours of free time by death (age 75).

Coming from purely a time perspective, it's a very worthwhile trade. But there are also many more factors to take into account:
    1. 1 hour of free time when you're in your 30s is worth more than 1 hour of free time in your 70s or 80s. You have more energy. You can do more things. You do things quicker.
    2. By the same reasoning, 1 hour of free time on an off day is also worth more than 1 hour of time on a work day, as you are likely tired and fatigued after work.
    3. People are usually more efficient with larger time blocks. Eg. playing a game for 10 straight hours versus playing a game for 2 hours for 5 days.
    4. 10m is probably enough for your partner to stop working too. So both of you will have far more time together instead of falling asleep watching TV after work every day.
    5. Higher quality of life. You can eat better and you have more free time to exercise.
    6. You will definitely have more time to spend with your parents and your children. In most normal circumstances, when you're a child, your parents are busy working. When your parents are retired with more time, you're busy working. When you're retired, your parents are dead and your children are busy working. When your children are retired, you're dead. By not having to work, you will have far more time to spend with your parents and your children.
    7. 99.9% of you are not going to earn $10m (2018 value) in your lifetime anyway.

Unless I died tomorrow, I'm fairly sure I could take a10 year reduction to my lifespan without any regrets. The truth is, I could not take up this deal and still die tomorrow anyway.
Working...
X